Friday, January 7, 2022

Paul Stanley: The Story Behind The Starchild’s Mask

 

    Now introducing the hottest blog in the world. You want the best place for the news about the rock music that you love and opinions from a senior citizen trapped in a 22-year-old body. Then you got the best with Gen Z Talks Rock Music. Why I am parodying how the legendary rock band Kiss opens their live shows, because today I will do a book review for the book titled, “Backstage Pass,” written by one of their members. I will discuss what the book was about and how it was more than music. The story of how I ended up reading the book and how this musician’s book persuaded me to read his other book. Finally, what I thought of the book, I also will include a bio section of the musician.                                                                                                                                                    He is a musician from New York, who is an entertaining front man and an underrated rhythm guitarist, and he was an important piece to this legendary band. He and his band would be the most dominant hard rock bands since the 1970’s. They were known for their unbelievable live shows, because the band’s mission was to have shown that the public had never seen before. The band would go out on stage with painted faces to represent characters and would entertain the crowd with their wild shenanigans like fire breathing, blood splitting, pyrotechnics, and much more. As this band is wrapping up their farewell tour, the co-leader singer and rhythm guitarists has written two books about his rock star journey called, “Face The Music: A Life Exposed” and “Backstage Pass.” This is rock star is none other than Paul Stanley from the classic rock band, Kiss.

Paul Stanley Bio:


    Before I review his book, “Backstage Pass,” I will have a bio section of Paul Stanley and the story behind me getting the book. Paul Stanley was born on January 20, 1952, in New York City. Stanley’s struggles would begin early on in his life because he was born with a condition called microtia. Microtia is a condition, where the human ear is deformed as the ear doesn’t fully develop in the womb. Stanley’s right ear was deformed, and this caused him to have deafness in his right ear. Stanley would eventually grow out his hair, because when he was young, he was made fun of by the other children about his condition. It would only get worse for Stanley living with parents and one sister, because of a bad home environment. Stanley felt unsafe with his sister in and out of the mental institution and also he felt his parents were never there for him and never comfort him. The only thing, Stanley thanks his parents for is a love for music as they were open to all genres of music. They would talk about jazz, classical and rock music together. The music saved Stanley’s life and he knew what he wanted to with his life, when seeing The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. He was inspired by The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show like many musicians.
    Stanley’s rock star journey of being a musician would begin when he was accepted to Manhattan’s High School of Music & Arts for his art skills. This high school is known for famous musicians, who got their chance to stardom, like Janis Ian, Laura Nyro, and the band Left Banke. He saved up money and purchased his fist electric guitar at the age of 14, because his parents let him down by buying him a cheap acoustic guitar. While at the school in Manhattan, he would join the band called Post War Baby Boom to be the vocalist and rhythm guitarist. Post War Baby Boom would play unusual covers at their gigs to set themselves apart from other local bands. During Stanley’s time with Post War Baby Boom, he would start writing songs and he would write his own version of popular songs. After his junior year at Manhattan’s High School of Music & Arts, Post War Baby Boom would break up with all the members except Stanley going away to college.

    Stanley moved forward with his rock star dream and eventually met bassist Gene Simmons. Now friends, Stanley and Simmons recruited members to start Wicked Lester. This would be short lived as Stanley and Simmons didn’t like the direction of the band and the first album under Electric Lady Studios didn’t sell well in 1972. In 1973, Stanley and Simmons continued writing songs together and put together a new band named Kiss with lead guitarist Ace Frehley and drummer Peter Criss. They would sign with Casablanca Records and came out with their self-titled album. Paul Stanley wrote and sang hits like “Firehouse” and “Black Diamond.” The rest was history as Kiss has been rocking the world for almost 50 years. If you want to learn about Stanley’s inspiring life, check out the link below. Paul Stanley - KISS, Ear & Facts - Biography

My Story Behind The Book:


    How I got my hands on Paul Stanley’s “Backstage Pass” was because of a close friend of mine since high school. I think every friend group has someone, who lives and breathes Kiss, and every song and every conversation have something to do with Kiss. Yeah, that is my good friend, Alex. I was never into Kiss until I met him and now, he has converted me as member of the Kiss Army.
    In 2019, Alex and I celebrated our love for Kiss with a Kiss 2019 bash. What I mean by this is we did events together only related to Kiss. It started in March, when we saw Kiss at Madison Square Garden. It was such a fun and entertaining show. Then in April, we bought “Backstage Pass” by Paul Stanley from a bookstore online, because he was doing a book signing with a meet and greet at Bookends in New Jersey. We got a sign copy of his book and met Paul Stanley. It was the best two seconds of my life! Then we wrapped up this Kiss 2019 with seeing Ace Frehley live at The Starland Ballroom, and he put on an excellent show.

Book Review:

    I must admit the only reason I got Paul Stanley’s book was to get his autograph and meet a classic rock legend. Although, after one of memorable moments of life was over, I was on the train going back home. I said to myself, I got the book to meet Paul Stanley, but a book is meant to be read, and I might as well start reading it. On my train ride home, I couldn’t put the book down, and it got my attention by the first page. I think couldn’t stop reading the book because it was something that I didn’t expect. It was more than sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll as his ideas and thoughts are fascinating. It was also inspiring for a college student to read, because he perseveres through his struggles at home and set goals to follow his dream of being a rock star. During his journey of being rock star, he found what really makes him happy in life, which was family and the music. The fame and money for Stanley wasn’t true happiness. Happiness was his wife and kids, because it was the family he never had, and he felt like an actual father to his kids. Then Stanley always felt the music had always been essential part of the happiness in his life.
    I love “Backstage Pass” by Paul Stanley. It is such a moving and touching book to read. I was impressed with his writing, because he wrote it from the heart, and it was very personal book. He opened the door of his deep thoughts and secrets to the reader, which I love, because I like when a rock star shows their human side. Also, I was so inspired by the end of the book. He told his readers of how his parents never cared about him and the ear condition made him feel like a freak, but that didn’t stop him from having success in his life. He was a victim as a child and if he does nothing to change being the victim, then his life is never going to be better. He set goals and worked hard to have a better life than his childhood and eventually became the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for the hottest band in the world, Kiss. It just so moving to me, because I learned from him that it not how you start, it is how you finish. Just because your childhood is bad doesn’t mean you have to be the victim for the rest of your life.
    I also admire the emotional moments that he talks about in his book. For instance, Stanley never had a good relationship with his father. He felt he could never go to his father for things, because Stanley’s father was the not the type of person to talk about feelings. He would tell Stanley to man up and deal with your own problems. Stanley made it clear in his first book, titled “Face The Music: A Life Exposed,” that his father not a real father figure to him. After Stanley said how he really felt about his father, Stanley’s father realizes how bad of father he was and reached out to him. Stanley’s father wanted to open and talking relationship with son, which Stanley always wanted from his father. Now, he talks in “Backstage Pass” how his father and him patched thing up and Stanley’s father has a beautiful relationship with his son and grandchildren. Another example is when Stanley is figuring out who he is as a person, and he talks about how able to find himself. For the longest time, Stanley never felt comfortable in his skin, and would live under the face paint of being the Starchild. It wasn’t until he had family of his own, he started to love himself. Instead of living as the Starchild, he lived his real-world life as Paul Stanley and was only the Starchild, when he was on stage performing.                                                                     Stanley is one of the iconic rock stars of the classic rock era and he wrote one of most exhilarating books that I ever read. He talks about Kiss’s story as well as how he fought to be successful in this world. He deep dives into his family life and how he found satisfaction with his life. I totally recommend to my readers to pick up a copy of Paul Stanley’s “Backstage Pass” as it such a fantastic read. It is such an excellent read that it persuaded me to read his other book, “Face The Music: A Life Exposed.” I will do another book review blog in the future to tell you what I thought of his other book. I have put links below of my 10 favorite vocal and guitar performances by Paul Stanley. Let me know in the comments below, what are your thoughts about Paul Stanley and his story. Also, let me know, if there was a book that blew you away, when you first read it. Tune in next time to Gen Z Talks Rock Music as we continue to keep the music alive.

I Was Made For Lovin' You - YouTube

Detroit Rock City - YouTube

I Want You - YouTube

Love Gun - YouTube

Reason To Live - YouTube

I Still Love You - YouTube

Every Time I Look At You - YouTube

Forever - YouTube

Black Diamond - YouTube

Tonight You Belong To Me - YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stranded On An Island Albums: Top 42 Pt. 2

      Last time, I started my 4-part blog series called stranded on an island album collection countdown. I talked about 42 to 33 on the lis...