Sunday, June 20, 2021

Stranded On An Island Albums: Top 42 Pt. 1

     When I was thinking of a new post for my music blog, I was on Facebook looking at an old post and found an interesting question that I was tagged to. It was pick 12 albums in no particular order and one album per artist or band. Then I remembered an episode's intro of "Drake & Josh," where Drake talks about him bringing 97 CD's, headphones, a radio, and a girl, if he was stranded on an island. I put these two ideas together and today, I will have a 4 part blog talking about my top 42 albums that I would bring, if I was stranded on an island. I can only pick one album per artist or band. Let's begin.

                                                                                                                                  Cast Away 
42.The Defiants- The Defiants
                                                                                                   The Defiants - The Defiants                                                                                First on this list is The Defiants with their debut self titled record, which was released in 2016. This band is the remaining members of the 80's hair metal band, Danger Danger. I fell in love with this record, the moment that I pressed play and I can listen to it over and over. When stranded on an island, my hair metal need will be fulfilled, because this album has everything that I love about hair metal. The album cover alone screams that it's hair metal, because so many music videos of these musicians in the 80's dressing up like badass cowboys. There are cool heavy riffs and fast shredding solos by Rob Marcello and Paul Laine has nice high vocals on the album. Also, it has great selection of glam metal type songs like "Love And Bullets", rock n' roll type songs like "Lil' Miss Rock 'N' Roll", and power ballad type songs like "Underneath The Star." The most important thing that I love about this record is The Defiants has it's own sound and it strays away from their sound with Danger Danger.                        
41. Revolution Saints- Revolution Saints
                                                                                          Revolution Saints - Revolution Saints
    Next album is Revolution Saints' debut self titled record, which was released in 2015. This is an all star hair metal band featuring Whitesnake's lead guitarist, Doug Aldrich, Night Ranger's bassist, Jack Blades, and Bad English's drummer, Deen Castronovo. The opening track titled, "Back On My Trail" is a time warp of hair metal music that immediately got my attention with Doug Aldrich wailing away and riff playing on guitar, Deen Castronovo's high vocals, and Jack Blades and Doug Aldrich's nice clear harmonies. Besides the heavy bangers like "How To Mend A Broken Heart," there are great power ballads on this records. "Don't Walk Away" is a beautiful ballad featuring piano work from Sunstorm's pianist, Alessandro Del Vecchio. Their music in my own words can be described as if Steve Perry from Journey was the front man of a hair metal band, because it's heavy playing with soothing vocals. This album is another example of being everything that I love about hair metal.  
40. Technology- Don Broco
                                                                                                            Technology Don Broco
    I picked 2018's "Technology" by Don Broco to be in my stranded on an island collection, because it would remind me of good times with friends at an concert and it gives me hope to have those experiences again. I seen Don Broco accidently at the last Warped Tour ever, because my friend Matt and his brother waited on line to meet and greet Waterparks and my friend James and I waited by the nearest stage. Now guess who was playing, it was no other than Don Broco, and they were so entertaining that James and I wanted a closer look. Their performance had so much energy like a Rolling Stones concert that the lead singer was all over the stage and the drummer stage diving in the crowd. James and I loved this band so much that we had take a picture with the band. Another reason I picked this particular record, because it is my favorite album that they did. It has a balance of pop punk and hard rock that every song on the album has pop punky parts and heavy parts. Every song is extremely catchy and it has tons of energy like my favorite song on the album, which is the "T-Shirt Song."  
39. Petaluma- This Wild Life
                                                                                                        This Wild Life – Petaluma
   2018's "Petaluma" by This Wild Life is another album that reminds me of my Warped Tour experience. It was one of those bands that I couldn't wait to see live as I listen to all their stuff before the show and loved it. They had the chilliest performance compared to the other bands that day. Then I had a meet and greet with them and bought a signed CD of "Petaluma" by them. The second reason is I think this is my favorite work by This Wild Life, because it is enjoyable soothing music to listen to. I can only describe the sound of this record as easy listening acoustic punk music. You can say their sound is as if Jimmy Buffet wanted to cover songs by Green Day or The Offspring. What a perfect album to relax to on an island in the middle of nowhere. Every track on the album is so catchy and unforgettable that there is not a bad track on it. Great examples of how catchy this album can be are the first three opening tracks named, "Figure It Out," "Headfirst," and "Catie Rae" This is definitely a type of record to not listen to for awhile and the minute it comes on again, you remember how great this record is. I can backup that last statement, because I was driving my car recently with friends and put on "Petaluma" by This Wild Life after not listening to it for awhile.
38. When We're Missing- Grayscale
                                                                                                Grayscale - What We're Missing
    Alongside "Petaluma" by This Wild Life and "Technology" by Don Broco is another Warped Tour discovery. I would remember, while stranded on an island, my friends and I being very excited to see Grayscale live. Especially I really wanted to, because I listened to them, before the festival and loved their balance of alternative and pop punk sound. Coming in at 38 is an album released in 2016, which is "When We're Missing" by Grayscale. It is on this list, because it is a favorite album with memorable banging tracks. The second track, "Palette," I think set the tone of the album of what the sound is going to be and it such a catchy pop punky type of song. Then it has one of my favorite songs on the record and by them called, "Iron Curtain." I love it, because it such a moving emotional ballad they wrote. "Iron Curtain" was well crafted in the how it was recorded, because the electric guitar has calm light riffs in the beginning. Then the singer keeps building each verse and chorus, until finally the release of the song happens and it is heavy guitar, drums, and harmonies of singing and screaming vocals at the end.
37. One X- Three Days Grace
                                                                                                            Three Days Grace - One X 
    Now getting off the Warped Tour kick, here is an album from my high school years. At 37 is "One X" by Three Days Grace released in 2006, and it has perfect tracks for getting the anger out as you are stuck on this island for an unknown amount of time. The perfect example on this album of upbeat angry type songs is "Riot," because Adam Gontier sings the chorus with a scream sing and he is so passionate as he is so into the song. It is one of those songs that motivates someone to throw coconuts at the animals on the island and all hell would break out in the island sand. Other song from "One X" called, "Animal I Have Become," would work perfectly for the setting, because the longer that I am stuck on this island, the more animal I will become in order to survive. This album is my favorite and would be part of the island collection, because it has great heavy songs like "Pain," and one of my favorite songs titled, "Never Too Late." It is such an uplifting song and it would be hope that I will get off this island.
36. Stay Hungry- Twisted Sister
                                                                                                                 Stay Hungry (album)
    I am going to continue the rebellious albums and bands with a classic 80's rock band named Twisted Sister and their best studio work in my opinion with "Stay Hungry" released in 1984. This album has the angry bangers like the Three Day Grace album with the iconic songs titled, "We're Not Gonna Take It," and "I Wanna Rock." Dee Snider's vocals especially in the verses has so much built up emotion in these two songs. It gets someone to get up and face the toughest animal on the island, because they had enough of the animal bossing them around. Other hard rock songs that can get the anger out are "Burn In Hell," and "S.M.F," because they're songs you can't help banging your head to. Then, there are songs like "The Beast," and "Stay Hungry" that I think it sets the mood of being alone on the island at night with creatures all around you. My favorite song is "The Price," because it such a great power ballad by an unexpected band. Also, it a moving song, while being trapped on an island all by yourself, because this song is about overcoming the struggles of life to get where you want to be.
35. Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie- Volbeat
                                                                                                     Seal the Deal & Let's Boogie 
    The "Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie" album by Volbeat is a must have in the collection, while waiting for help on this island. This is one of my favorite albums by them, but it was a hard choice to pick one Volbeat album, because "Rewind, Replay, Rebound" is a great album as well and it was a close second. "Seal The Deal & Let's Boogie" released in 2016 was chosen for my top favorite record for two reasons. First, it was the first Volbeat record that I listened to. The second reason is it has more fun heavy songs than "Rewind, Replay, Rebound." Songs like "Seal The Deal," "The Devil's Bleeding Crown," and "Black Rose" will cheer someone up being in this situation, because these songs are all upbeat and groovy songs to dance to. Basically, the last sentence describes their sound, especially on their last two records. On a scale, they are the borderline of dad rock like Nickelback and heavy metal like Iron Maiden. So, basically heavy dad rock. Also, I feel this album has great opening riffs on every track that they're catchy and you can't help headbanging. The lead guitarist, Rob Caggiano, is increblibe with soloing and filling the spaces in the songs. Then the vocalist, Michael Poulsen has an amazing voice that he can hit unbelievable notes and you can't help smiling, when you hear his cool unique voice. Last, what seals the deal, pun intended, why this is part of the stranded on an island album collection is the second version of the beautiful ballad called, "The Bliss," which the chorus is sung in Danish and it so interesting to hear the band sing in their native tongue. My favorite part of the track is when it transitions to heavy to a kind of European soccer melody with a wailing banjo and the lead singer singing a soothing oh.
34. Hysteria- Def Leppard
                                                                                                               Def Leppard - Hysteria
    If I only can have 42 albums to listen for a long period of time stranded, then I can't forget a great album with 7 hit singles. "Hysteria" by Def Leppard was released in 1987 and it is first of many on this list that came out of the great music year of 1987. This is the best of what hair metal has to offer with this record. The album is full of exciting upbeat songs that you can't get out of your head. The drums on the whole album are fantastic, because it has a full massive sound that it blasts in the speakers. Also, they have a cool sound with a mix of rock songs, pop songs, and glam songs on the album. I think it would have the same purpose as the Volbeat album on this list, because it's fun, it's groovy, and it can lift the spirits of someone trapped in the middle of nowhere. Songs like "Pour Some Sugar On Me," "Rocket," "Animal," and "Armageddon It" are perfect examples of catchy tunes to pump someone up. Last, if you can't figure this out by now, then I will tell you, I am a sucker for ballads, especially power ballads. Def Leppard's "Hysteria" has two great power ballads with "Love Bites," and "Hysteria." "Love Bites" has great power and emotion in the vocals and "Hysteria" has a melodic riff to bob your head to and it has romantic lyrics.
33. Destroyer- Kiss
                                                                                                                         Kiss ‎– Destroyer
    On this shipwrecked adventure, I can't forgot an iconic record by the best of the best. You want the best, and you got the best, when listening to "Destroyer" by Kiss, which was released in 1976. I picked this one, because it has a deep connection that reminds me of my good friend, Alex. We would always be in his car driving to wherever, while rocking out to Kiss. Also, we saw Kiss live at Madison Square Garden, and we saw Ace Frehley live at the Starland Ballroom. Then, we topped off our Kiss 2019 year together by meeting Paul Stanley at a book signing. Over the years, because of Alex, I have become a huge Kiss fan and having this record will help remember all the great memories I had , while listening to Kiss. Like I said in the beginning, "Destroyer" is the best of the best by them and it is a personal favorite of mine. It has a balance of hard rock songs and rock ballads on this one album. The great hard rock tunes like "Detroit Rock City," "Do You Love Me," and "Shout It Out Loud," which are so catchy that you can't help humming along to. Then, there are nice soothing songs like "Beth," and "Great Expectations," which are well crafted and well arranged pieces of music. There is not one bad song on this album, just a great listen from beginning to end. Last, I think what puts the icing on the cake bringing this record is the song, "God Of Thunder," because that song will be my ritual song, when I am sacrificing an animal on the top of a volcano to please the god of thunder and he gives me rain for my crops. 

    This concludes part 1 of my stranded on an island album collection with 42-33 of the list. Next time, I will be talking abut 32-23 on my stranded on an island album list. Check out the links below of a sample from each album so far. If you want to check these albums out, all of them are available on all streaming platforms. Let me know in the comments below, what you think of the list so far and what albums would you bring, if you were stranded on an island? 
        
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stranded On An Island Albums: Top 42 Pt. 2

      Last time, I started my 4-part blog series called stranded on an island album collection countdown. I talked about 42 to 33 on the lis...